What are they?
They are tapioca pearls/balls. Used a large amount in Asian cuisine, like PHO restaurants. Simply they are a large pearl about the size of a pony bead that is made of rice.
What am I looking for?
Where can I find them at?
Your not going to be able to go to your local grocery store and find them. Bummer I know. If like me and on state assistance (TANF & SNAP) it takes some extremely planned thought. although I ended up stumbled on an Asian market that took SNAP, food stamps, I had several months put $ on a pre pay credit card for them. Only having life happen and using the $ for something like pull-ups. So I have spent some time gathering up some very helpful links for purchasing them.
Serve is the 100% FREE pre-pay credit card I use. It’s 100% free to load at walmart and 7-11! a few other places too. No load fee’s being low-income is a great feature.
The Great Wall Shopping Mall, located in Kent, WA
H Mart, 31217 Pacific Hwy S Federal Way, WA 98003 (253)528-0500
I have to locate my receipt for the store I happened to stumble on, to add there information.
How do you cook them?
Now many sites out there make it seem so simple in how to cook these. HA! Let me explain, yes very easy in basic all you do is boil them…. [if you could see I am rolling my eyes]. That is because, as you boil them, you will see it! They are perfect nice big round.
BUT DON’T LOOK AWAY. The next second they are smaller. I chalk this up to I am not Asian decent so I must not have some skill needed to grab these things all out the pot at that moment, So any how, instructions for cooking them. This is my own instructions.
- Bring at least 10 cups of water to a rapid boil.
- Pour 1 to 2 cups uncooked tapioca pearls into the boiling water.
- Allow them to boil on high for 5 minutes.
- Slowing stir them.
- Than reduce heat to medium heat, and boil for 10 minutes.
- Make sure to keep an eye and stir once or twice.
- Than using anything along the lines of this …. scoop all the cooked pearls out, to a strainer.
- Run cold water over pearls for 5-8 minutes.
How do I add color?
- Put some pearls into a cup.
- Add food color
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Rinse again for 3-4 minutes with cold water.
How do I store them?
Once cooked you can store them in an air tight container in the refrigerator with a little cold water. Pretty simple.
Some of our favorite blogs and sites that have many more good ideas.
Learn Play Imagine has Glow In The Dark Way